Thursday 17 March 2016

Lent 5. 2016 17th March - Jesus was challenging their faith

17th March


(C) Br. Luke Efo 2010
Scripture John 8: 51-59

51  Most certainly, I tell you, if a person keeps my word, he will never see death.”
52 Then the Judeans said to him, “Now we know that you have a demon. Abraham died, as did the prophets; and you say, ‘If a man keeps my word, he will never taste of death.’ 53 Are you greater than our father, Abraham, who died? The prophets died. Who do you make yourself out to be?”
54 Yeshua answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say that he is our God. 55  You have not known him, but I know him. If I said, ‘I don’t know him,’ I would be like you, a liar. But I know him and keep his word. 56  Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day. He saw it, and was glad.”
57 The Judeans therefore said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old! Have you seen Abraham?”
58 Yeshua said to them, “Most certainly, I tell you, before Abraham came into existence, I AM.”
59 Therefore they took up stones to throw at him, but Yeshua was hidden, and went out of the temple, having gone through the middle of them, and so passed by.


Reflection:
Jesus was challenging their faith.  He confronted their understanding of God and then of who he was.  It was for them, blasphemy.  They became angry and wanted to be rid of him. Have you ever told someone about your faith and then found yourself facing an angry, perhaps violent person? Do you know why they became angry? What was it your profession of faith, the manner in which you told them, or a recognition that perhaps you had something they lacked? How did you handle their aggression?



Your thoughts:

No comments: